Monday, May 12, 2008

"HELLO, THIS IS THE CHIEF





































"HELLO, THIS IS THE CHIEF OF POLICE . . ."


That is what I heard when I checked my voice mail yesterday morning. It immediately filled me with panic because my first thought was, "Oh no, something terrible has happened to one of my family members." The call had actually come in Saturday morning, however, and it went on to say that this chief of police (I don't remember his name) was endorsing Rick LaManna for county sheriff. My reaction to that was swift: I felt immediate relief mixed with anger, and I instantly erased the message.

I was angry because this stupid political campaign voice mail recording had me so scared for a few seconds. I was relieved that there had been no reason for the immediate fear. In considering the call, I knew that if something bad had happened in the family, there would have been more attempts to get in touch with me. In a way, I wish I had kept the message so I could have gotten the chief of police's name, although I'm not sure that I would have done anything with it, other than gripe about him here, and that probably wouldn't have accomplished anything but made me feel better. Ultimately, I am glad that I hadn't voted for Rick LaManna; I voted for the incumbent sheriff in the ballot I sent in a few days before getting the phone message.

This is such a complete invasion of privacy -- it really frosts me that such tactics are being used in political campaigns. I'm not up to complaining in a more public venue about it but I wish someone would. And I hope that the jerk that okayed the voice mail message (Rick LaManna, I presume) loses by a very wide margin!

*****

Does anyone else do this? Do you accidentally bite the inside of your lower lip, and then keep doing so? The fact that the area is swollen makes it an excellent target for biting it again and again, and that hurts and takes away from the fun of eating! That has been happening to me lately and I don't like it. Such a bummer!

*****

I heard from my youngest son Tony last night, wishing me a Happy Mother's Day and saying they were still planning on seeing me when I got there Friday late afternoon. They are going to be in the process of moving for part of the weekend (just to a house about 1/4 of a mile away) but he said they would definitely make time for being with me. I'm very much looking forward to seeing him and Kamie and grandsons Michael, 9, and Alex, 7. The weather is supposed to be getting hot by then so I will take my new, more summery By Taylor clothes that I bought last month in Long Beach, Washington. I don't know if there will be a soccer game or a swim practice to watch or not. (Kamie had said that Michael was in soccer and Alex was going to be swimming.) In the meantime, there are Mother's Day cards on the way from them and I'm looking forward to receiving them! I just love my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment