Monday, April 28, 2008

THE GOOD HUSBAND OF ZEBRA



































THE GOOD HUSBAND OF ZEBRA DRIVE


I'll admit it, I am hooked on the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. I have just read the 8th book about Mma Ramotswe and her husband Mr J.L.B. Maketoni, entitled The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, and it was as delightful as the rest.

Set in Botswana, the series takes you to that country, with descriptions of its landscape plus the people there. The author, Alexander McCall Smith, makes Mma Ramotswe and her assistant, Mma Makutsi, come alive, as well as Mr J.L.B. Maketoni and his feckless apprentices in the auto maintenance and repair shop he owns.

There are, of course, mysteries to be solved, as well as the personal problems of the characters to be dealt with. Mma Ramotswe, as always, is wise and smart.

If you have not read any of these books, I would recommend that you start at the beginning, with the first book, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, and go from there.

I sent these books to my mother when she was on dialysis and needed something to fill her time, and she said she enjoyed them very much. They are clean and yet do tackle tough issues regarding adult behavior in a tactful and sometimes humorous way.

I have the 9th book here to begin reading soon -- The Miracle at Speedy Motors. I thought I'd take a break and start on something different last night, so I began The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama. I was soon too sleepy to read -- I hope that wasn't because of the subject matter. ;-)

*****

I received my flannel pajamas today from the company that carried them through Amazon. They look very much like flannel pj's should look like -- maroon and white striped -- and they feel exceptionally soft and like they will be very cozy to wear on a cold winter's night. Wait a minute -- I saw nighttime temperatures in the 30's coming up in a few days during one forecast that I watched last night, so it could be that winter isn't over here yet!

So it's another day of celebrating my 60th birthday! ;-)

*****

Upon sending the latest batch of Ziggies, my friend Lynne expressed the thought that both doors in the above cartoon probably led to the same place. LOL! She lives in Australia and yet she understands our tax system so well . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment