Tuesday, March 25, 2008

THOUGHTS ON RELIGION IN








































THOUGHTS ON RELIGION IN GENERAL


I hope you all have had a chance to read Gattina's comment on my last post. It is very funny! And also, presents a good point, that Europeans have a hard time understanding the fuss about religion here in the U.S.

Religion is indeed a big deal throughout this country. It has become a very big political football during this presidential campaign, and I'm sure we haven't seen the end of that.

As far as I feel about religion, I have friends and loved ones of many different religions and I accept them as they are, although there are various beliefs -- such as transubstantiation or strict pacifism -- that I could not accept for myself. I am glad we have freedom of religion in this country, so that individuals are able to believe what they wish.

Where I draw the line is when a religion is dishonest about what it believes, especially if there are secret ceremonies that the person coming into that church is not told about, as I believe they should be, from the very beginning. It's like the analogy of cooking a frog -- if you put a frog into a pot of hot water, it will jump right out, but if you put the frog into a pot of lukewarm water and gradually increase the heat, you will succeed in cooking it.

So straightforward religion, I can accept. Truthful religion, I can accept. I may not feel that such churches are exactly right for me, but I can respect those who belong to and attend them. I recognize that strong beliefs are often a buffer against times of trouble.

I think this is pretty much my viewpoint in a nutshell. Perhaps I will think of more to write about religion in general in the future. But I think this describes how I feel for now. To paraphrase a saying that I believe comes from Star Trek's Spock: May you believe long and prosper.

*****

Today is my oldest son J.D.'s 39th birthday! I know he and his wife Kris were planning to travel to San Francisco this week and I don't know if he will have his laptop with him or even time to check in on blogs, but I want to wish him a HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and maybe he will see this wish when he gets back.

J.D. was my only normal delivery, after a pretty reasonable time of labor (13 hours). Steve wasn't allowed in the delivery room so the doctor took J.D. out to see him after he was born. Steve said the doctor "flipped" J.D.'s lower lip and that J.D. gave him a rather resentful look. He seemed to be more alert to what was going on around him than a lot of newborns.

It's hard to believe it was that long ago. Time certainly flies! I'm grateful for J.D. and his thoughtfulness and consideration as a son. May you have a wonderful birthday and many, many more ahead, J.D.

*****

It is also my tags list owner Connie's birthday today, and my friend from the tags list, Jeneane's, as well. I haven't heard how Connie is doing for a while and I miss hearing from her. I will definitely be posting a birthday wish for her to the list today, in case she might see it. And sending a greeting to Jeneane (also known as JR).

*****

It is clear and cold today. I will make the trip to Costco for the business and myself in a little while. I'm pretty much glad that it isn't raining today, although there was frost on the ground when I got up. So much for weather forecasts, eh? LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment