Tuesday, April 8, 2008

LOVE IS WHERE YOU FIND IT






































LOVE IS WHERE YOU FIND IT

by Lynn Perrier
This is a love story.
The love story of my cat, Sophia. She was truly smitten.
Unfortunately for Sophia, it is more like a Greek tragedy.
I wasn't much worried when Sophia, my youngest cat, fell in love
because I am a responsible cat owner and she had been fixed months
before her infatuation took hold.
Still, it's sometimes hard when a mother has to sit by and watch
her little four legged baby grow up. I guess it happens to the best
of us. That was how I was feeling when I realized Sophia, my little,
almost-grown 10 month old kitty, had fallen in love for the first
time in her short life.
Now you should know that I am a strong advocate of spaying and
neutering pets. There are too many unwanted animals in this world
and the only way we will eventually conquer the problem of homeless
and abandoned animals is to make sure we pet owners do the
responsible thing. Still, being spayed didn't prevent Sophia from
falling head over heels.
It all began when I went out shopping and came back with what
turned out to be her new love interest. I didn't expect Sophia's
reaction to the newcomer. I set it down on the floor when I walked
in and went about putting my other purchases away.
When I came out, Sophia had already made her presence known to
the object of her affection. As a matter of fact, she was in a mad
embrace and completely oblivious to my presence. She was rubbing it
all over while her four paws held on to it for dear life. There was
no way anyone was going to separate them.
Sophia was purring so loud I could hear her from the doorway.
She was in the throes of absolute and complete ecstasy.
Now Sophia has a brother by the name of Fellini. I have had
them both since they were two weeks old. Until now, they were
inseparable and Fellini is very much Sophia's big brother, protector
and constant playmate. It now appeared this was about to change.
Poor Fellini stood off to the side looking totally dejected as
he watched this salacious scene between his sister and the
interloper. Totally unimpressed and obviously feeling left out, he
moved his attention to the container in which this newcomer had
arrived. Just like any rejected male, he found it necessary to show
his displeasure and proceeded to bat it around the room with a fierce
resolve. It was apparent he held it responsible for alienating
Sophia's attention and was intent on demonstrating his disapproval.
I guess he thought that trashing the container would, in some small
way, alleviate his hurt feelings.
I watched with fascination as Sophia continued in her attempt to
attract the attention of her new friend. She was kissing it and
gazing at it with longing in her eyes as she held on for dear life,
her paws wrapped around its neck like she would never let go.
Unfortunately for Sophia, her new love interest didn't feel
quite the same. In spite of these amorous overtures it just laid
there and refused to react. It didn't respond to Sophia at all.
Although Sophia bit it and rubbed is some more, purring her heart
out, it just refused to return her affection. I wondered how long it
would take her to realize the feeling wasn't mutual.
I wasn't looking forward to watching her inevitable rejection.
Visions of my first dance came to mind. The boy I thought was the
coolest cat in school never asked me to dance. He just ignored me
too. I understood how Sophia was feeling. I could see the writing
was on the wall and I was afraid she was in for the let down of her
young life.
Why?
Well, you see, her new love interest was my newly purchased toilet brush!
I may have to buy another one just to make sure she doesn't
romance this one after it has already been used for the purposes it
was meant for. Poor Sophia.
This story does have a happy ending, however. I have no doubt
that as soon as Sophia realizes her affection is not going to be
returned, Fellini will regain his position of favoritism in her life
and the episode of Sophia's unrequited love will never be mentioned
again.

--Lynn Perrier
petpntr@yahoo.com

I received this story from a friend on one of my chat lists. As usual, it appears to be making it's way around the Internet. I think it's very cute -- I would love to have a picture of Sophia with her temporary love interest. ;-)

*****

I heard from my DIL Kamie last night and it appears that my trip to see her, my son Tony, and grandsons Michael and Alex is on for May 16-19. I am very much looking forward to that!

Previous to that, DIL #1, Kris, had mentioned the possibility of the kids and grandkids in this area taking me out for lunch or dinner for my birthday, although due to scheduling conflicts, that will likely need to be in May, too. I think that will also be enjoyable.

I love my family!

*****

I couldn't help but catch the story last night on CNN about the 400+ children that had been taken from the polygamous compound in Texas started by imprisoned polygamist Warren Jeffs. This caught my attention and concern for personal reasons related to my family history as well as my wondering where they are going to put all of those children to get them into safe settings. I really can't help but believe the whole situation is just a mess. I will be watching for developments.

*****

I have hardly been watching any of American Idol this season, even though there is a girl from southern Oregon who has made it through thus far. Somehow, I couldn't get interested in it. I have caught little bits of it now and then, when I had nothing else to watch that held my interest. This week is the American Idol Gives Back show that did so well last year. I may not view it this time but I think it's a very good cause. Besides, it's nice to see Simon acting like he has a heart. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment